Tuesday, July 17, 2012

3 WEEKS!! Countdown to My Blogiversary

I'm excited...

I'm really REALLY excited...

I mean really REALLY REALLY excited!!

August 5th is the day ladies and gentlemen...This Hair Of Mine turns ONE!

I can't believe how fast a year has gone by!  I would even venture to say that, by far, the year I've been blogging has been one of my best years ever.  Lately I've been thinking (yes, I just had a Jodeci moment) of more what ifs, but mainly what if I had started when I first went healthy natural?  All the shoulda woulda coulda thoughts can eat you alive if you let them, but I'm just glad I quit procrastinating long enough to pin my first post on August 5, 2011.  I'm so proud of myself...I don't think I've said that phrase too many times, but I really am proud of myself for sticking with it for a year.  Sure I could write more posts, sure I should focus more on styling or product reviews, yes I know I said I was going to do more in general.  I've got to be like Nike and JUST DO IT...it's so easy to let life get in the way and sweep you off your feet, leave you dazed and confused, not knowing which was is up.  And I can admit there have been times where I just needed a hiatus from this, from writing, from styling, from my hair all together.  One thing that always kept me motivated to continue was YOU...yes you reading this.  Strange as it may sound, blogging has really helped me break out of my shell (what shell, Lisa!) and get over my quiet fear of speaking/meeting/interacting with people I don't know.  Blogging has allowed me to find myself, and through hair talks and chats I've been able to connect with people and make new friends.  Great friends.  My curlfriends.  I appreciate every single one of you so dearly, you have no idea! 

This past year has afforded me many great opportunities.
  • Participated in the NaturallyCurly.com photo shoot where I met SO many awesome curlies, and developed lasting friendships.  My hair (and face too!) are now on marketing campaigns for  TextureMedia and appear on the NaturallyCurly.com website and other media.
  • The start of my blog and the photo shoot led to an opportunity to begin writing for NaturallyCurly.com, discussing important topics within the natural hair community as well as providing style, tutorials and of my own lessons learned as well.
  • Was selected as part of the Nzuri Natural Hair, Health and Beauty Showcase, Texas' largest natural hair event.  This was an incredible experience to be able to work with the incredible Nina "BeautifulBrownBabyDol" Ellis-Hervey and awesome natural hair bloggers in the city like Naturally Happy Hair, The Hair Gurl, Women Are Gamechangers, and many more
  • I was asked to be a guest co-host on the Nappturalite Radio Show, and had a wonderful time interacting with the host, other guests, and the listeners.  I also appeared on the Chocolate is Natural Radio Show too!
  • I attended my first World Natural Hair Show in Atlanta, and it was so invigorating!  They added a new Social Circle component that brought together natural hair and style bloggers to cover the entire event.  I would LOVE to participate next year if I could!
  • During the WNHS I got to meet one of my fellow guests from the Nappturalite Radio Show, EDEN BodyWorks.  This connection allowed me to serve on the host committee during their Houston edition of Brunch with EDEN in May
  • I was also able to meet the incomparable Kim Coles during an event at Natural Resources Salon, and I was even among the few bloggers who were able to chat with her after the event.
  • I would say so far the highlight of 2012 has been being featured as a Natural Hair Icon on the website Black Girl Long Hair...I mean...it's BGLH!!!  Not too long after that, Tamika of Natural Resources Salon was featured on there as a 3C Natural Hair Icon and I was on there again while she was doing a quick style on my hair during a previous event.  And what's even crazier is that shortly thereafter, they posted my video of Tamika doing 4 quick styles during my very first natural hair meetup I attended with Nappy Love Houston.  Talk about getting the love from BGLH!!
  • I'll be adding a few more accomplishments to my repertoire in the next couple months, primarily becoming LEAD PRESS SUPPORTER for the Fall Fro Fashion Week coming up in Atlanta September 23rd-30rd.  I am SO psyched, I can't even comprehend it all. 
That brings me to today...officially 14 days until my 8 year naturalversary and 20 days until my Blogiversary.  I have to pinch myself sometimes to make sure I'm not dreaming at times...it's pretty surreal.  One of these days (sooner rather than later!) I'll be posting some of my favorite pictures over the last year.  I will also be sharing a bit more of my hair story for those who are new to This Hair of Mine.  I will also do a favorites video to include all of my favorite products & accessories.  Lots of good stuff coming soon :)

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! SO many accomplishments continue doing your thang girl!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...