Friday, November 4, 2011

Step Outside of Your Box

I was watching an episode of Oprah's Life Class last night, and this time the series was focusing on breaking ruts, getting out of your normal routine, and generally stepping outside of your box.  She visited some of her old episodes and found ladies that had lost some of their zest for life and found ways to empower them.  One group of ladies were single mothers who had been living an unfulfilled life - they went skydiving and found their spirits again.  Another lady had always had weight issues, and she ended up shedding all of her clothes (down to her draws!) and pretty much ran through the neighborhood.  Another lady had become a frumpy mom, wearing applique sweaters year round.  She had lost her sexy and wanted to find herself again...so she got a makeover and had been practicing pole dancing to bring the spice back into her marriage.  She has since grew her business to an international company and still maintains a sense of self within herself and for her marriage.

I rocked my "Out The Box" Style...
This episode had me thinking about how this applies to my natural hair...am I stuck in a box?  In my thinking, strange or otherwise, I haven't relied on a "box" in over 7 years, but does my hair put me into another box?  I wear my staple style pretty frequently and don't usually divert from it, but maybe I should?  I've been doing a lot more experimenting with different styles, shapes, products...doing things I've only seen other naturals do.  I guess I have a fear of doing something SO different, SO outside the box, that it won't be received well.  Maybe I'm scared sometimes....okay I'll say it.  I AM SCARED sometimes to wear my hair in different styles.  But it shouldn't matter...it really shouldn't matter how people are going to receive me.  Guess what, if somebody doesn't like me for my hair then why should I care!  I may not be my hair, but it's an extension of self, and if you can't get with it...well I just can't waste my time worrying about somebody else's feelings when they don't make or break me.  I'm sure somebody else feels me out there...but for now I'm done ranting!!

Basically what I'm trying to say is step outside your box, don't get stuck in the same ole routine.  This can be extended beyond hair and into your everyday life....the only way to make a change is to do it.  You can't expect things to just happen if you don't put forth the effort to make it happen.  Look at me!!  I'm just reaching my 3rd full month of blogging about my hair, but now I can say I've been apart of a professional photo shoot, I've put out over 10 videos on YouTube, I have been able to reach so many people on Facebook, and I'm going to be a blogger for the biggest hair expo coming to Houston in December...I had to step outside the box, quit procrastinating, and speak what I hope for into existence.  God is SO good...when you finally give in and let Him work.  *steps down off preacher stool*

Have a wonderful day THoM family, thank you from the bottom of my heart, and remember it's okay to step outside your box :)

Lisa Michelle ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...