Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Nappy Love Houston Meet & Greet 8/13/11

This was a busy weekend for me...I planned on posting while I was out of town but of course my plans exceeded the time I thought I would have to do so.  If you're in Houston, and you're looking for a natural hair group, then join Nappy Love Houston.  It's a group to empower and support Naturals in the Houston area and your presence is welcomed!
Riyike (L) and Sheila (R)

This was the first event I was able to attend and I will say I really enjoyed myself.  It was held at the Chicago Bar & Grill which was more than accommodating to the group, and the wings were on point!!  This was a meet & greet, so the coordinators Riyike and Sheila, set up the event with a cool questionnaire that we used to mingle amongst ourselves.  Talk about a conversation starter!  I'm not typically a talker (well, unless get me talking about a subject I like!) but it was so easy to talk with the ladies in attendance, ask and be asked questions, and make new friends.  The styles were abundant, fros to locs to twist outs and TWAs (teeny weeny afros).  I know a lot of ladies don't care for hanging out with a lot of other ladies because there is usually some sort of drama or cattiness.  That is NOT the case, and when I've been in places with other Naturals, usually there is a sense of admiration floating in the hair.  Other Naturals usually understand what it is to deal with your natural hair, the time and patience involved, and generally they appreciate that you've taken the time to care for your natural hair.
My friends

One of my friends and her sister came through to show support as well.  She started the loc process a month ago, and her sister just did her big chop in February.  I met lots of cool ladies there, and plan to attend any other events I can.  I want to send a big thank you again to Riyike and Sheila, coordinators of Nappy Love Houston, Chicago Bar & Grill for providing a great venue to us, and to all the ladies that attended, I really enjoyed meeting y'all and look forward to many more great events in the future. 

Thank you for stopping by my blog!  I'm still trying to figure out a few things, but I'm learning something new everyday!  Your support is appreciated, so become a friend of my blog and leave your comments and feedback.

Here are a few pics from the event. Enjoy!









 



If you attended the Meet & Greet, or are a member of Nappy Love Houston, please share your comments about the event. What would you tell others who are natural, transitioning, or contemplating going natural about having a strong support system? What are your feelings about networking with other Naturals?

Lisa Michelle :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey girl. I was at the meetup and we spoke briefly. I'm he girl that has been natural all her life. I had a great time as usual! I always enjoy meetups because I'm new to the area and its a great way to meet like-minded people. I also enjoy being able to catch-up with those who I haven't seen in a while. Not to mention, I went home w/ some oil and aloe ver gel, so that was an added bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed myself Alicia, and I'm glad I got to make it! It was such a pleasure to meet everyone :) It really was a welcoming environment, even though it was my first one. Thank you so much for checking out my blog, I appreciate the support! Hopefully we can catch up at the next meet-up!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...