Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Fresh Off the BC Train

Hi y'all!! I'm SO excited to introduce my friend to you, and she's fresh off the BIG CHOP train! WHOO HOO!!  I've known Denise since high school, and I remember getting hair advice from her back then. She's got a beautiful family, and now, a beautiful new 'do!

(L) Denise prior to her BC, 7/31/11 (R) Denise, wearing her natural well, 9/3/11
 
 
How long have you been natural? Tell me about your BC experience


I have been natural for less than 1 week, my big chop was on Friday, September 2nd! I walked in to my appointment expecting nothing less than the BC! I had no reservations and my mind was in the right place. In a way, it felt liberating to defy the perception of "beauty" and cut all my hair off. All I could think of was...I am not my hair!

During her BC...how exhilarating!!

Fresh off the BC train!!

What were your top reasons for going natural?
  • To achieve what I call the "Jill Scott," that big bouffant type afro with loose natural curls...I am a long way from that but I will never get there if I don't start somewhere
  • I am with child, so I figured what better time then now to take advantage of the spurt of new growth.
  • I relocated to ATL, a place where I think they are more receptive to the natural phenomena. I have always been nervous about being natural during the "awkward" transition at the workplace. Nonetheless, I can get through my transition comfortably.
  • For some time now I have been on the fence about going natural. My husband has been very supportive and encouraged me to do it. He has said that black women are more attractive with natural hair. So what better reason than for your spouse!


How have your family/friends supported your decision? Have you had anyone close be unsupportive and how have you handled it?


The best way I can put it is those that were against going natural were avid weave-wearers. But my #1 fans were my husband and sister-in-law. However, everyone was apprehensive about the BC, they encouraged me to be less aggressive with the change and grow it out for awhile then cut it off. Matter of fact, my sister-in-law has vowed not to get a perm.  How awesome is that!! Already spreading the word...you go girl!! lol!)

How do you feel that going natural has affected your lifestyle?

While I have not been natural that long, one thing I have noticed is that I no longer have the burden "fixing" my hair before I go somewhere aka flat-iron. I am less consumed with my hair, and seemingly more confident. I can equate this confidence before the BC to a fresh perm, but then that feeling goes away after a few weeks. This feeling seems to be everlasting.


What advice would you give to someone on the fence about going natural?

Like Nike...Just Do It!!! The time will pass regardless, might as well let it pass on your terms.


Is there anything you are most looking forward to?

Discovering my curl pattern, learning my hair and testing new products!


What's your hair regimen? Products?

Because I am so short, I can get-away with not having a strict regimen. For now, I have been using my daughters products, who I have vowed to keep natural. At this time, I use Uncle Funky's Daughter's Curly Magic. A wash and go with a slight applications of Curly Magic. The only thing I'm lacking is oil, which is a necessity for any natural hair regimen.


Anything else you'd like to add?

Other than, as black women we are put in a awkward predicament when we have to choose between good looking hair (when processed) or a work-out regimen. Now that I am natural, I can do both without the frustration of trying to figure out what to do with my hair...funny but so true!!!!


As if you needed more motivation than that...she's an awesome ambassador for the Natural hair community!  Are you on the fence about giving up the chemicals?  Nervous about doing the Big Chop?  There are always alternatives, but like Denise said, the only way to do it is just to do it!


Would you like to share your story, whether transitioning, newly natural, or long -time natural? Shoot me an email at lisa@thishairofmine.com so I can feature you as well.  Thank you so much to Denise for being my very first feature, and congrats again on your BC!!
Lisa Michelle :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...